Seminar on Estate Planning in a New Tax and Legislative Environment
Part 1: Creating a Basic Estate Plan in a New Tax and Legislative Environment
1. Basic Considerations
- Why Should You Be Concerned About Estate Planning in the First Place?
- The Planning Documents that Everyone Should Have in Place
- Wills vs. Revocable Trusts: What is the Difference?
- Engaging a Lawyer to Create an Estate Plan
2. Taxes, Taxes and More Taxes….
- Hasn’t the Estate Tax Been Repealed?
- Recent Changes in the Tax Laws that Impact Estate Planning
- Exemptions and Rates
- Resurgence of State Estate Taxes
- Estate Taxes vs. Income Taxes
- A Complex and Uncertain Future
3. Trusts for People Who Depend Upon You
- Why Create a Trust?
- The Traditional Trust: Tension of Protection vs. Control
- A New Model for Trusts: Enjoying Protection with Control
- Roles in a Modern Trust
4. Planning for Your Own Incapacity
- Statistical Realities About Longevity and Families
- The Essential Documents
- Decision-Makers and Care-Givers
5. Increased Importance of Estate Planning in the Twenty-First Century
Part 2: How to Meet Your Philanthropic Goals—Building a Philanthropic Structure
That is Right for You
1. Understanding your Philanthropic Objectives
2. Forms of Charitable Gifts: “Purely” Charitable Gifts
- Giving to a Donor-Advised Fund
- Giving to a Public Charity
- Giving to a Private Foundation
3. Form of Charitable Gifts: “Split Interest” Charitable Gifts
- Giving to a Charitable Remainder Trust or Charitable Gift Annuity
- Giving to a Charitable Lead Trust
4. Tax Considerations in Charitable Giving
- Income Tax Considerations
- Estate Tax Considerations
- Legislative Uncertainty and its Possible Impact
5. Trends in Philanthropy: “Venture” Philanthropy, Microfinance and Gifts of Alternative Assets
6. Philanthropy and Your Family
- Discussing Philanthropy and Estate Planning with Your Family